Friday, March 23, 2012
Goji berries Carrot cake with a Cheesecake topping.
Spring is back! which means I can now get out of my cave and pick up goji berries, sing songs and steal carrots from my neighbors' garden. Or I can go to the organic store, buy organic carrots and Goji berries that are very healthy. Perfect ingredients to bake a carrot cake. I usually add raisins or dates to it but I've decided to replace them by Goji berries. I also tried to add originality to the traditional cream cheese frosting - I'm not really fond of it for some reason- by topping the cake with a cheesecake - but for some other reason I love cheesecakes-.
And that's how I combined two things I like: moist carrot cake and creamy and light cheesecake!
for the carrot cake:
-350gr shredded carrots
-260 gr all purpose flour
-150 gr brown sugar
-100 gr sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 tsp cinnamon
-2 tsp nutmeg
-a pinch of salt
-30 gr goji berries
-200 gr vegetable oil
for the cheesecake:
-250 gr cream cheese
-400 gr fat-free yogurt (let's be healthy!)
-100 gr sugar
-1 tbsp vanilla extract
-3 large eggs
-2 tbsp all purpose flour
1) Let's start with the carrot cake. First preheat oven at 410F. Prep the goji berries by putting them in a cup of hot water to rehydrate them.
2) In a bowl, add all dry ingredients: 260gr all purpose flour, 150 gr brown sugar, 100 gr sugar, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
2) In a larger bowl, add the wet ingredients: beat 4 eggs and 200gr vegetable oil.
3)Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until it's homogeneous.
4) Incorporate 350gr shredded carrots and 30 gr rehydrated goji berries.
4) Spread the mixture on a square or rectangular cake pan and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, mix 250gr cream cheese, 400gr yogurt, 100gr sugar, 1tbsp vanilla extract.
6) Add 3 large eggs and mix for 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp all purpose flour and mix for five more minutes to get rid of the lumps.
7) Once the carrot cake is cooked, spread the cheesecake mixture on top and put in the oven at 310F for 40 minutes.
8) Let it cool down in the fridge for a few hours, cut in squares and serve.